1. Entertainment

Paula Abdul Is Leaving American Idol

By August 5, 2009

Who will Simon Cowell roll his eyes at now? Paula Abdul is leaving American Idol!

The singer announced in a series of Twitter posts that she will not be returning to the hit show next season. "With sadness in my heart, I’ve decided not to return to [Idol]," she wrote. "I’ll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from [day one become] an international phenomenon."

"What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me. It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month. I do without any doubt have the BEST fans in the entire world and I love you all."

Last month, the singer's rep complained publicly that Idol producers hadn't even approached Paula with a new offer. (Meanwhile, they gave host Ryan Seacrest a $15-million-a-year contract and welcomed back Kara Dioguardi with open arms.)

null The show's producers released a statement after Paula's announcement appeared on Twitter Tuesday night. "Paula Abdul has been an important part of the American Idol family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show,” the statement said. “While Paula will not be continuing with us, she’s a tremendous talent and we wish her the best.”

Paula's fans (some of whom participated in a Twitter campaign last month to keep Paula on the show), expressed surprise and disappointment over the announcement. "I just can't see American Idol without Paula Abdul, I just can't," one fan tweeted. "No Paula Abdul, not the same American Idol," another fan wrote.

Though viewers occasionally wondered if Paula had more than Coca Cola in her cup, it is indeed hard to imagine American Idol without Paula at the judge's table -- making those comments that occasionally left us scratching our heads, dancing around during the best performances, doing her special seal clap...Things certainly won't be the same without her.

What are your thoughts on Paula Abdul leaving American Idol? How will her departure affect the show? Will she be better off without American Idol? Sound off in the comments.

Photo 1 by Kevin Winter/Getty Images. Photo 2 by Fox.

Comments

August 5, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(1) CATHEE says:

I will miss Paula deeply. She was 75% of the show. Especially her sitting next to Simone and watching the two constantly teasing each other. Who will Simone tease now???? That was half the show watching those two!!

August 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(2) KITCAT says:

What in the heck is the big deal about Ryan Seacrest?? I just don’t get it. I mean come on….. the short, stumpy, little guy get’s what he wants ($$$) but Paula doesn’t even get an offer? it’s a man’s world. America will miss Paula and I wish her great success.

August 5, 2009 at 3:02 pm
(3) Won says:

I think the whole thing smells.I had hoped it was a publicity stunt to boost the programmes demise.
wise judgment Paula,you can watch the ship sink

August 5, 2009 at 3:32 pm
(4) PJ says:

To Won,
Could not have said it better. Too bad, because I really loved the show. I wonder who will be her replacement???

August 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm
(5) linda says:

without Paula it will not make it over this year. She added the spark they needed.

August 5, 2009 at 4:01 pm
(6) Becky Olson says:

I have never responded to or offered a comment on any opinion request in my life, however; my heart is broken. I’ve been a faithful Idol watcher all these years. While I’ve never been a “Paula” fan before Idol, she totally made the show. I can’t imagine it without her. Kira was a huge disappointment last year and I heard many comment that she was a “waste of time”. When I heard rumors that Kira was coming in to replace Paula I was hoping the producers (or whomever is responsible) would come to their senses. I believe almost as many people tuned in to see Paula and hear her critique as they did to watch the talent. The perfect team was Paula, Simon and Randy. I don’t traditionally resist change, but I really don’t understand the need to change when something is such a huge success the way it was.

August 5, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(7) Marni says:

I think they’ve broken up a successful team and the show will not be as popular without Paula. I predict the ratings will fall.

August 5, 2009 at 4:12 pm
(8) TOMCAT says:

We should petition!

August 5, 2009 at 7:55 pm
(9) Barbara Brown says:

American Idol will suffer Paula’s loss. The three Paula, Randy and Simon helped make the show. Although the fourth judge added a variation to the show it wasn’t really necessary. The show was amazing and if Paula isn’t brought back they will have to replace her with some pretty special for it to atain it’s high ratings.

August 5, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(10) sandy says:

if i had to make a choice between the two women then i would say keep paula……that other gal is just a ugly sickening person who can not think for herself…..and just goes with the flow……i didn’t care for paula because of her acting like she was or maby was or is on drugs…..and it did look like her and simon had a thing going on..and took over allot of the show this last season……but your all right..won’t be the same with out paula..they need to replace that other gal instead!!

August 5, 2009 at 8:39 pm
(11) sandy rosecrans says:

I am sorry that Paula will not return next season. It will definitly leave a hugh void in the show. I just do not care for kara as much. she does not seem to have the personality that paula has. Really think this will hurt the show. My personal feelings. Good Luck Paula . HOpe the directors rethink this.

August 6, 2009 at 2:31 am
(12) Carrie says:

I too will miss Paula. I simply cannot believe that Kara would be welcomed before renewing (not to mention welcoming)Paula’s contract. Myself as well as just about everyone I know, was hoping that reguardless of what the other judges were doing, that Kara would NOT be returning. She offered NOTHING to the panel as far as constructive comments and/or critiques. If anyone was paying attention, they would have noticed that about 80% of the time all she would offer is the same opinion as the judge preceding her (most often Randy). I am deeply saddened that Paula will not be returning however I’m even more upset that Kara is coming back! How sad for American Idol and producers…Wake the hell up!!

August 6, 2009 at 5:06 pm
(13) Tammy says:

I also noticed that Kara seemed to agree with whatever Randy said! I never liked her from the get-go…I thought she was pushing Paula out from day 1.Paula and Simon made that show! I never missed an episode…I actually go through withdrawls for the 1st or 2nd week of the summer,I miss it THAT MUCH! I don’t know if I’ll be able to get into it without Paula.I really can’t imagine the show without her!!!!Simon will be lost!

August 20, 2009 at 5:54 am
(14) Halliwell says:

I have always been watching AI since its first episode. I am a big fan of the show all the way from Philippines. I think if Paula leaves the show, it will never be the same show that i have been watching since then. It will tremendously affect the performance of the show from the BEST SHOW to perhaps the BETTER SHOW or even a GOOD SHOW. PAULA, PLEASE DON’T LEAVE!!!!!!!

August 21, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(15) imee says:

I loved American Idol…but without Paula I may not watch this show anymore…actually Paula is the core of the crop with regards to the American Idol…sorry…lol..

August 27, 2009 at 3:10 am
(16) ICTPH says:

NOBODY’S GOING TO WATCH AMERICAN IDOL WITHOUT PAULA NOBODY CAN TAKE HER PLACE ESPECIALLY KARA SO THAT SHOW IS GOING DOWNHILL FROM THIS POINT ON EVERYONE WATCHES IT FOR ONE REASON ONLY SIMON AND PAULA’S ROMANCE….THEY NEED TO GET MARRIED OR DATE BY NOW DON’T YOU THINK 9 YEARS IS ENOUGH WAITING!!! WE’LL MISS U PAULA!!!