1. Entertainment

Irina Wins Project Runway, But Everybody Is Talking About Carol Hannah

By November 20, 2009

Irina Shabayeva won Project Runway, but Carol Hannah Whitfield seems to be the true winner in the hearts of viewers.

Moments after the Project Runway winner was revealed, Carol Hannah became a trending topic on Twitter. That means she was one of the most talked about topics on the popular social network. Tweets were pouring in, including:

• "Cannot believe Carol Hannah didn't win Project Runway! Robbed!"
  • "I am not happy that Irina won Project Runway because Carol Hannah is the epitome of a winner. Irina's attitude is complete turn off."
  • "Dear Irina, you're a rude, backstabbing, snob. Your winning Project Runway makes me question the show. Carol Hannah! You were robbed."

• "Irina, you've gotta nice collection and imma let you finish, but Carol Hannah had one of the best collections of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!"

Gotta love that Kanye joke, but back to the Runway results. Carol Hannah was the most likable finalist this season while Irina rubbed viewers the wrong way, but do you believe Carol Hanna was robbed? Or do you think that Irina deserved the win based on the final collections? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

November 20, 2009 at 9:35 am
(1) shaunna jengo says:

Carol Hannah should of won. Irina Shabayeva’s snide comments and ugly demeanor says it all. She is a rude snob and I wouldn’t purchase anything from her.

November 20, 2009 at 9:48 am
(2) Leslie says:

Carol Hannah was so robbed, and it had nothing to do with Irina’s bad, nasty attitude. Carol Hannah’s clothes were fresh and happy looking. Her clothes looked like they would make you happy when you wore them. Irina’s clothes were just black, skin-tight everything. How many women would that flatter? Also, clothing as a shield? ‘scuse me? Since when are clothes supposed to shield us from the outside world? Such a paranoid way to look at fashion. Althea’s clothes were okay, but they were clones of stuff that you can already buy at your local Macy’s Department store. Nothing new or unusual there!

November 20, 2009 at 9:53 am
(3) Tlynn says:

I thought Carol Hannah had the most intricate designs, definitely the most color. I loved Altheaís clothes and would where most of her pieces.

But I have to admit, when it came to cohesion, Irina did the best. But I hated all her pieces except the 13th one.

November 20, 2009 at 9:56 am
(4) Sue Thornbury says:

Carol Hannah is an extraordinary designer and her clothes are so flattering. It’s obvious she’s a more pleasant person than Irina, as well!

November 20, 2009 at 9:56 am
(5) Olivia says:

I was so disappointed with the results. Irina’s collection was boring! And she’s so mean! Carol Hanna definitely deserved to win.. her collection was so much more original. I would definitely wear her stuff

November 20, 2009 at 10:02 am
(6) Shana says:

Carol Hannah’s collection at least was designed for the woman’s body!! Her clothes are very wantable!! I could never see myself wearing most of Irina’s ridiculous duds

November 20, 2009 at 10:09 am
(7) Donnie says:

Carol Hannah deserved to win. Her collection was the best! The color, the style, the grace that her collection had was unbelievable. She also worked great under pressure, was never rude to anyone and I felt put the most into her collection. Her collection was also very wearable. Who in their right mind would want to wear Irina’s dark and in my opinion, not very flattering clothes? So yes Carol Hannah was robbed of the win.

November 20, 2009 at 10:39 am
(8) Jackie says:

Carol was robbed… both Irena and the blonde had the same damn collection. Real “innovative.”

November 20, 2009 at 10:56 am
(9) Gaia says:

Talk about a copycat….did anyone notice the resemblance of Irina’s final collection to the black gown that Carol Hannah designed for Christina Aguilera in Episode 9? And remember how catty Irina was in her comments about Carol Hannah using the feathers on that gown?
This season was such a cat fight production it’s no wonder the Queen of the Hissy Fits won.
Carol Hannah, you are the Queen of Hearts.

November 20, 2009 at 11:42 am
(10) Dre says:

Carol hanna was Totally robbed! Every piece in her collection was beautiful! I would wear every piece she made! She is going to own the red carpet in the future!!!

Irina’s was typical and boring. Very disappointed in the show. They made a big error this time.

November 20, 2009 at 11:46 am
(11) Galoux says:

I admit I never liked Irina–at least what the show displayed of her personality was less than flattering. But I tried to keep an open mind for the collections. I love to wear black, but I was so BORED with Irina’s stuff. Shoot, even Michael Kors realized what a trite, seen-it idea it was. And those things that didn’t bore me were things I’d never have worn even when I was young, for example, the sweater with the ridiculous sleeves. The judges had largely negative comments for her too. The only negative they leveled at CH, though, was that they saw no cohesive thread–and had they bothered to really look, there was one. The call this year was preposterous.

November 20, 2009 at 11:50 am
(12) Jamie says:

I think Irena’s collection was oddball. The “helmets” were REDICULOUS! I wonder, if Carol Hannah didn’t get sick, and Irena didn’t get Giordana to finish all the pieces she couldn’t, if the results would’ve been the same?

November 20, 2009 at 11:51 am
(13) Lisa says:

Irina’s designs fit her personality – hard, cold, black, and unflattering. Carol should have won, definitely. Her designs are thoughtul, colorful, flattering and wearable.

November 20, 2009 at 12:10 pm
(14) Lynn says:

Carol Hannah SHOULD be the winner, in my opinion, not because of her sweet disposition but because she’s much more talented than Irina. I wonder, once again, if this show is fixed. Irina’s bit about the clothes shielding and protecting from the outside world? That speaks volumes. I’m losing interest in Project Runway. I’m so disappointed.

November 20, 2009 at 12:35 pm
(15) Cristine says:

Aside from the gimmicks that the show uses to lead us to believe something may happen, when in reality the outcome is different, Carol Hannah still had the most complete final collection.

Her designs have by far been cohesive and well thought out throughout the WHOLE season. Yeah, there may have been times when she could have pushed her designs a little further, but when you talk about designing for the “every day” woman she does. Irina should have come in second to Carol Hannah.

November 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm
(16) annie says:

Carol Hannah has been my FAVORITE designer since the start of the season, actually, my favorite designer PERIOD!!! Carol was robbed and I truly feel the show is rigged!! I doubt I’ll tune in to watch next season.

November 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(17) silvia says:

I can’t believe that Carol Hannah is not the winner! She is the perfect designer and so talented, Runway is about dresses… that was so disappointing.
Carol Hannah according to me and many thousands of viewers you are the real winner!
You are going to be so successful just give it time.

November 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm
(18) Erika says:

All I have to say is Carol Hannah should’ve won Project Runway. She is a true professional. Very dissapointed with the results. Very unfair decision. I stoped watching the show as soon as she became eliminated.

November 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm
(19) mary r. says:

Very disappointed in outcome.

November 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm
(20) Yvonne says:

Carol Hannah, the best. Irina whatever her last name is sucks and I will never watch project Runaway again. Nuff said!!

November 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm
(21) Jane says:

Carol Hanna is the real winner! But if they let her win, that would have ridiculed the fashion design industry; having a self-taught designer mop the floors with designers from top-notch schools!

Let Irina have her fake winner status, but we all know that Carol Hanna is the true winner, and she will prove herself in the real world!

Jane

November 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm
(22) Anna says:

I think Irina designed the strongest collection, but she should’ve been disqualified for copyright infringement. They nixed her Coney Island shirts, so they should’ve nixed her Reasons to Love New York shirts, if only they had caught her in time.

I wish all the PR designers success commensurate with their (not-insignificant) talent. That said, I did like Carol Hannah’s collection better than Althea’s.

November 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(23) Vicki from Indiana says:

Yes…Carol Hannah was robbed. Irina’s clothes were unwearable unless you are a runway model.

November 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(24) Gin says:

Yeah C Hannah should have won. Her collection showed more vision and expression of creative thought than I’ve seen on the show. You can find Irina’s calliber of clothing in any 80′s Vogue. Been there, done that! Irina’s interpretation of quality clothing isn’t new or unique, it’s typical. Project Runway’s got issues!

November 20, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(25) boocat says:

Carole Hannah deserved the win. I felt like I’d slipped and fallen into a mud puddle after Irina’s win was announced. Carole Hannah is a great designer and has a splendid career ahead of her.

November 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm
(26) Lindsey says:

I think that Carol Hanna should have won and was definitely robbed. I loved all of her designs and she has the best attitude. Irina was hateful and all of her items looked too much alike. I was so disappointed to see that she won but know that Carol Hanna is the true winner and it makes me happy to see so many agree.

November 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(27) Kaitlyn says:

Carol Hannah’s clothes were just far more beautiful than Irina’s. If a regular women was flipping through a magazine and saw Carol Hannah’s designs, she would immediately run to the nearest store. With Irina’s clothes however, the woman would say: “Oh wow that’s exotic. And bold.” But she probably wouldn’t want to buy any of them.

Carol Hannah was just so much more likeable-a girl who succeeded so well without even having gone to fashion school. She was also very nice and down-toearth-I felt as if she could have been my best friend on that silver screen.

Irina’s attitude was just SO rude and arrogant-she didn’t even thank her parents when she gave her introduction for fashion week! And was I the only one who couldn’t stand the protruding black hats? They looked like gladiator helmets!

Carol Hannah, don’t you ever feel that you are not a winner, because you most certainly ARE!

November 20, 2009 at 7:43 pm
(28) Nikki says:

Carol Hannah was the true winner of project runway by far. There was no competition with the other 2 collections. I agree that Irena was a b$%^& and her collection was unwearable/unflattering for the everyday woman… Carol Hannah if you are reading this: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT FIRST DRESS!! Where can I get one???

November 20, 2009 at 8:03 pm
(29) Christine Albanese says:

Carol Hannah was robbed.. this is a travesty..not only should she should have won…they put her in Third Place…I am so upset with this show…

November 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm
(30) Cheryl says:

Irina’s clothes were always impeccably made throughout the season, but so were Carol Hannah’s. There is no question that they both deserved to be at Bryant Park. However, Irina’s final collection was drab, boring, had no personality, and as the judge’s even said it- HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE….i.e.- unoriginal! Whereas Carol Hannah’s clothes were just as impeccable, had variety, were luxurious and wearable all the while being art. Based at that, and not personality- Yes, Carol Hannah deserved to win! End of story!

November 20, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(31) Anonymous says:

The judges truly missed the mark this year with their final result. Irina did not deserve to win. Setting aside her all-around crappy attitude, her collection was ridiculous. Those helmets were disgusting. I didn’t think any of it was wearable by the everyday woman – unless it was Halloween and she wanted to be a gladiator.

Personally, though, I couldn’t believe the judges would name her all black collection the winner when they eliminated Chris March in the Season 4 semi-finals because the three black pieces he showed in his design-off with Rami were too “depressing” and too “morbid.” Really?

Carol Hannah deserved the win. Althea’s collection was really good, but rather one-note. Carol Hannah played with color when no one else did, and it worked out for her, and the judges even said so. And I’d have rather had no cohesion and a collection of really amazing clothes than one shield costume coming down the runway 13 times.

November 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(32) Karen says:

I do believe Carol Hannah was robbed! And I do agree that Irina was very stuckup & snobbish. I just get why she won; the judges told her she had way too much black in her collection but she didn’t care yet she still won??!! Plus I thought her collection looked very dominatrixish with the weird hats and all the black leather. Carol Hannah will definetely be out there in the fashion world. I loved all of her designs that she made-her dresses were simply gorgeous especially when she did the roping and braiding she did.

November 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm
(33) La RÍveuse says:

Irina: S&M, black, horsey/horse-”inspired” and bathmats wrapped around their necks.

Althea: decent sportswear, nothing exciting or memorable, but I’d buy it (on sale.)

Carol Hannah: joyful, humorous, colorful, feminine, classy and flattering. I want to wear everything, except that grey toilet brush thingee, but it’d look cute on my daughter’s Barbies.

Um, yeah. As usual, the judges went for “that which shocks the most people who don’t live in Manhattan.” What a shock. *rolling eyes*

November 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(34) Chucktowngrrl says:

The grace and class that Carol Hannah displayed is very commendable. But her clothes were truly beautiful. The fact that her tailoring and intricate detailing are skills she developed on her own without design school speaks volumes as well. If her being a self taught designer was held against her, that’s weak. Cause there are lots of “untrained” designers who are very successful. Maybe you’ve heard of Karl Lagerfeld. He only runs a little fashion house called Chanel…Irina’s collection totally mirrored her attitude. Everything looked like a costume from a straight to dvd sci fi movie. While Althea’s knitwear looked cozy, Carol Hannah’s collection made me wanna drain the bank account cause I wanted everything. I look forward to seeing what she does next! You ROCK Carol Hannah!

November 20, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(35) jennifer ducket says:

im so sad that she didnt win! everything that i was that went down the runway i was like woo ahh… i want that! her designs are great and she seems like she has a awesome personality. im so dissapionted but im sure that eventho she didnt win, she will be more successful than irena in the longrun i bet. more people will actually wear her designs…

November 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm
(36) Wendy says:

My son called irina’s collection Klingon. Out of the mouths of babes

November 20, 2009 at 11:28 pm
(37) Linda in Kalamazoo says:

What a surprise. The absolutely ugliest of designs won the competition. Never in my wildest dreams did I see Irina winning. She used mostly black, even though the judge cautioned her not to, the hats were VERY strange looking, and you couldn’t see any details of any outfit. Everything was black & tight. I don’t know anyone that would wear any of Irina’s designs, unless it was the dress, but that wasn’t particularly stiking either. I guess the lesson here would be that if every model wears a goofy looking something that is similar to each other model’s goofy looking something, that there is a thread visible enough for the judges to see. What a bummer of an end to an otherwise interesting competition!

November 21, 2009 at 1:46 am
(38) Roseanna says:

I also think Carol Hannah should have won this competition. I won’t deny that throughout the competition, Irina did well, but so did Carol Hannah! So when it comes down to the final 13 garments, Carol Hannah’s were superior by far! They docked Carol Hannah for not having a “cohesive” enough line, but when any real woman (high fashion or not) looks in their closet, it’s a myriad of colors. And I don’t know anyone who would wear so much black and funky clothes Irina made! No matter what, Carol Hannah is my winner! She took the loss like a champ, but she deserved 1st place!!

November 21, 2009 at 1:50 am
(39) Sue Ras says:

Carol Hannah was ROBBED!!!! She by far had the best collection. She could have won on the first dress alone. Irina shouldn’t have won because her collection did not show well. There were items (the first one) that I have no idea what it even looked because it was just black on black on black, and the details were not visible. It doesn’t matter that she is very unlikeable with her bad attitude, because she can still design, but she was NOT the best. She’ll pay for the ugliness of her demeanor in the long run, but her collection have been in 2nd place, NOT first!!!!

November 21, 2009 at 3:08 am
(40) Kathleen says:

Putting aside the fact that Irinia is a rather rude young lady, I feel that she won because she thought to make some hats and a bag. The judges had critcisim for her, but could only come up with a lack of ‘common thread’ from CH. REALLY?! So apparently creating 1 kitsch item and sending it down the runway each time shows creativity and talent. SNORE. Carol Hannah all the way. Quit trying to surprise the audience and pick the ACTUAL winner.

November 21, 2009 at 6:55 am
(41) jennifer says:

How much of a field trip would Christian of had with Irina? He would have called her on accusations. About the feathers…And? What’s your point? The show needs more people like him. Colorful, funny and super talented.

Carol Hanna, chin up, shoulders back and go out a nd WOW the world. It was a pleasure to watch your designs dazzle us week in and week out. You go Girlfriend

November 21, 2009 at 10:45 am
(42) Gala says:

CAROL Hannah, I loved your entire Collection it was Breath Takenly Beautiful!! I am so sorry you didnt Win, But by no means was it because of anything you did or didnt do!

Where can we see the rest of your Collections and how soon before they are on line for purchase? I can not wait to see it all! And Shop shop shop!!

You Go Girl Keep moving Forward!!!

November 21, 2009 at 10:52 am
(43) Johnston says:

I would never buy clothes from a bitch designer! Yah you may work hard to get somewhere but it will bite you in the end if you burn all your bridges!

November 21, 2009 at 11:46 am
(44) Chris says:

I didn’t like Irina or Althea’s Bryant Park collections, but I did like some of the pieces they did this season. Commercially, I think that Carol Hannah has a brighter future. It seems to me that any designer who makes it to Bryant Park is a winner because their designs are featured equally. The judges have their opinion which centered in their generation, location, experience and personal taste. It seeems to me that the judges are New York centered, a bit older than the people buying the clothes are, and a little out of touch with the way regular young women dress. I look back at past seasons and I can’t recall who won, but I do remember the designers I liked. This season, Carol Hannah won my vote and I am the only one who buys clothes for me. I suspect many women will feel that same.

November 21, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(45) Riverleaves says:

Carol Hannah should have won because her collection was frankly the best and best suited. I really don’t care about the personalities of the contestants. Carol Hannah just had a more diverse collection for display in a magazine and beyond–isn’t what this show is all about?–Diversity in design with a eye towards a market?

November 21, 2009 at 8:06 pm
(46) Penny says:

Carol Hannah definitely should have won. Every one of her pieces that came out were beautiful and wearable.

November 22, 2009 at 2:16 am
(47) Neli says:

i personally think Irina is a excellent designer, with a bright future, i hate the personality she showed in the show, and that kind of personality can get on the way of her being a successful designer. However i also think that Carol Hannah should have being the winner, and i truly believe she is going to make it to the red carpet and be one of the most successful designer ever…

November 22, 2009 at 9:54 am
(48) Laura says:

Carol Hannah should have won. Like another person said, who wants to buy clothes from a back stabbing, bitch!!!!!! Couldn’t stand Irena. Carol Hannah rocks.

November 22, 2009 at 11:52 am
(49) Lisa C. says:

I got a bad feeling from the Finale. Was Carol Hanna robbed..Defintely! I was left questioning the
integrity of the show. Did anyone else notice the eye contact going on between Irina and Nina Garcia?
Nina was unable to contain herself upon Irina being announced the winner…she broke into a crying stupor! I felt Nina was emotionally invested in Irina, How? I am not sure..but she was! Will it affect C.H.? No, she is extremely talented! Will I watch next year? Probably not!

November 23, 2009 at 12:18 am
(50) Andrea says:

Oh yeah! Carol Hannah was definitely robbed! I can’t believe how the show ended this year.

November 23, 2009 at 3:16 pm
(51) Kemba says:

I loved Carol Hannah’s clothes and I hope that she at least starts a website so one could order dresses made to order. They were beautiful!!!! I don’t know that Carol Hannah will ever see these comments but I thought her work was exceptional, especially for someone who didn’t go to fashion school!. I see the judges point about Irina. She was the only one that did handbags, hats, and outfits however, they weren’t that good. The only thing she designed that I wanted to wear was the black evening gown that she spent so much time on and I don’t think it was finished b/c on the runway, part of the detailing was sewn together; you could see the models leg thru the dress.

November 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(52) VICKIE says:

seriously, i want to see things i would wear everyday in the REAL WORLD. They were beautiful, wearable, comfortable looking and just down right awesome.

November 25, 2009 at 10:40 am
(53) Ariana Cavazos says:

I think Carol Hannah stole the show! Her pieces were meticulous and colorful….the material she used was beautiful and she has a likeable appeal! Irina is a b* and did not deserve winning. I guess I should have guessed she would win by the wrong decisions the judges were making episode after episode. I am very disappointed in project runway.

December 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm
(54) an avid fan of project runway says:

No matter what went on with the behind scenes of the show, hands-down Irina was the most talented and sophisticated designer. Her clothes were gorgeous and perfectly executed. I really believe she deserved to win the competition. Carol Hannah was adorable and her dresses were beautiful but Irina was a cut above everyone else. I’d love to have one of her designs one day.

December 28, 2009 at 12:15 am
(55) Lu says:

OMG!!! I just finished watching the finale!! I can’t believe Irina’s all-black collection won!! Carol Hannah totatlly deserved to win!! Her garments were better!! In fact, they were THE BEST!!

February 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(56) annabelle lee says:

I intensely dislike people like Irina who use subtle intimidation as a tactic to come out ahead – even when they know the other person is superior in the given task. That said, I thought she was going to win. Her clothes just look like what comes down the professional runway. They really do look as though she has a cadre of staff working behind the scenes for her; her clothes look very well made, interesting, edgie and “New York”. I thought she did an excellent job. The only reservation I had was not that everthing was black but that we’ve seen the “warrior woman” many times before, as Michael Kors pointed out. Unfortunately, many people who are at the top of their field are not those we would want to work for or admire as human beings. Irina is very talented; she should work on her character. Carol is wonderful. I wanted everything she wore herself during the show, but then again I’m not “fashion forward”. I think most people would buy Carol and Althea’s clothes in a heartbeat, and I’m sure they’ll have nothing to worry about in their professional careers. After all these years of watching, I still can’t figure out why some people have a “connective thread” in their collection and others don’t. Everyone with hats? Everthing one color? Everything in the same fabric? It often seems very subjective.

May 26, 2010 at 1:44 am
(57) gemma says:

CAROL HANNAH IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 4:57 am
(58) eija says:

i agree with everybody… irina is too arrogant….. she thinks that the is bette than everyone else but the fact is, there are more talented designers such as carol hanna….. carol hanna… you go girl