1. Entertainment

Why Did Didi Benami Sing "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted?"

By March 30, 2010

American Idol contestant Didi Benami was criticized by the judges for being dramatic when she sang "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted?" on Tuesday night's show.  And she was clearly emotional after performing the song for guest mentor Usher.

So, why did this seemingly random song mean so much to Didi?

Ryan Seacrest hinted that Didi sang the song as a tribute to her best friend Rebecca, who passed away before Didi tried out for Idol.  Rebecca's passing inspired Didi to try out for the show, which is why Ryan remarked "[Didi] auditioned for the show for a reason" when Didi didn't offer up the details herself.

The lyrics of  "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" include, " What becomes of the broken hearted, who have love that's now departed. I know I've got to find some kind of peace of mind. Maybe."

If Didi did sing the song for Rebecca, we can see why the performance stirred up so much emotion for the grieving singer.

Comments

March 31, 2010 at 2:09 am
(1) Michelle says:

It was annoying that Didi wouldn’t share the details of her song choice. If she lets people know more about who she is…she will get more votes.

March 31, 2010 at 3:19 am
(2) Chris says:

if this story is true…it truly broke my heart. Bless her heart….and I’m glad you did what was true to you and if you decided not to speak about it…I totally understand girl! People should quit trying to control you!

March 31, 2010 at 8:26 am
(3) geewhiz says:

adorable girl,bless her.ryan was so sweet with her trying to get people to understand if they didnt already what the song meant, a tribute to a departed. hope she gets enough votes to keep her in.karas claws are showing giving her grief about not knowing who she is like seh expects her to be one dimensional instead of having lots of creative drives to explore, though admittedly a brief talent competition isnt the place to expore all that.but didi is discovering herself as a performer, a longterm development for any performer in any art form like most of the other contestants BUT she already has a more unique sound than most of the other contestants who do not have the distinctive tone.vote hard to keep the beautiful sensitive artiste in another week.

March 31, 2010 at 10:30 am
(4) jlg says:

Didi is just annoying! And so is Seacrest for pawing her.

March 31, 2010 at 1:20 pm
(5) Spenser says:

Didi is so overrated and annoying and she doesn’t take criticism well at all. I don’t mind someone standing up for themselves, but she’s always on the defensive — even when Ryan was attempting to relay the importance of the song to her. She needs to go!

March 31, 2010 at 2:10 pm
(6) Tara says:

Didi is not annoying, but people who leave such heartless comments are!

Didi has taken criticism well. The judges practically butchered her rendition of Bill Withers “Lean on Me”. They were ultra cruel. If you had a good enough memory Spenser you would remember that the judges gave her kudos after performing Rhianon for taken there comments so well tha previous week! Personally I loved her version of Lean on Me.

I applaud Didi for her performance of “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted”. With soul & r & b as this week’s theme Didi was out of her element. Didi went with “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted” because the lyrics said something to her. We all know why & I see why Ryan was trying to get people to understand, but I also see why it may have been too difficult for her to say that. At that point she was probably trying to block the real meaning behind her performance so the criticism didn’t hurt so much.

Didi has an amazing tone to her voice much like Natasha Bedingfield. I love Didi & will always support her.

March 31, 2010 at 10:58 pm
(7) Aln says:

Ryan is such a loser! He kept pushing & pushing her to tell the world why she picked that song last night. Obviously she didn’t want to discuss it & was something personal (& not something she wanted to sell out, ie,
the death of her best friend, for votes!). But he just couldn’t let it go. Get those ratings Ryan – you insensitive, talentless worm! Seacrest is the one who shouldve been sent home – at least Didi has talent.

March 31, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(8) Aln says:

What a shame didi was sent home. She had the most interesting voice left if you ask me.

April 1, 2010 at 12:24 am
(9) Moonbeam says:

I have seen other contestants on past AI seasons who also occasionally chose songs which had special meaning for them, such as for a lost friend or relative, but which were not the best songs for them to sing in the competition and hindered their standing in the voting.

Songs are best chosen to show off a particular kind of voice and range to the people who will be judging the performance. It’s not the time to send musical messages to dead loved ones by trying to perform a song not best suited to one’s own voice, no matter how personally meaningful a particular song may be.

That being said, at least Didi will still be on the tour because she seems to be a very likable person.

April 1, 2010 at 12:49 am
(10) Dennis says:

Didi! What a beautiful young lady. I loved the sound of her voice. I loved her from her audition. There is no way in hell that she should be going home tonight! I think she has been a class act all through the competition. I had a feeling tonight when her and Tim were standing together that she was going home. I really hoped that the judges would save her and give her another chance. I’m sorry but Tim should have gone home weeks ago. I’m glad though that Didi will at least be going on tour. I’m a big fan of Didi’s if you can’t tell. I think it took a lot of guts for her to sing a song that touched her so much because of her friend that passed away.

April 1, 2010 at 8:20 am
(11) gibby says:

i think Didi is a nice talent. Every week, she sings the song with all her heart and i can feel this…
Honestly, I dont want anyone to leave this show but i think Didi is better than others being safe in this show.
if she had controlled her feeling well, she wouldnt have gone home too early…though i know she didnt try to cry to get audience’s voting…But I still love you Didi…Wish u all the best in your future bath!!!!

April 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm
(12) Spenser says:

Well, all I can say is I guess the rest of America agreed with me! Buh-bye, Didi! Can’t wait to pass on buying your inevitable collection of warmed-over Stevie Nicks covers …

April 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(13) Justin says:

Well, Spenser, when you start singing beautifully, you can start being critical. Until then: if you’ve got nothing nice to say, just don’t say anything. Otherwise you get a lot of unneccessary hatered, okay?

April 3, 2010 at 8:11 am
(14) gibby says:

whatever happens, I still love u Didi…i hope u will overcome this…..I know u will be more matured and successful from this failure…A best singer is the one who has done their work with all ur heart…I can feel this…and yours is a well-done job. Try hard didi… I always support you….DOnt mention some bad comments…They dont have a rgt to criticize on your work…

April 30, 2010 at 12:52 am