1. Entertainment

Bachelor's Emily Was the Fiance of Late Race Car Driver Ricky Hendrick

By January 3, 2011

A new season of The Bachelor is now underway and I'm watching right along with the rest of you.

So, one of the first contestants that caught my attention was Emily, who says she is the ex-fiance of a Nascar race car driver who died in a plane crash on October, 24, 2004.  It turns out the race car driver was Ricky Hendrick, who was reportedly a partial owner of Hendrick Motorsports. His father Rick Hendrick, founded Hendrick Motorsports. Ricky started racing at age 15, the same age Emily says they met and fell in love. The couple got engaged when she was 19.

Ricky was tragically killed along with seven other family members and friends during the airplane accident in Martinsville, VA on Oct. 24, 2004. Emily, who had decided not to go on the flight with Ricky, found out soon after the tragedy that she was pregnant with the couple's first child. She is now raising their daughter.

Despite  her tragic love story, the hospital event planner is ready to find love again on The Bachelor. Do you think she will find love with Brad? Let us know in the comments!

Comments

January 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(1) Debra Roller says:

I’m not sure if she will find love again, But everyone has to take that first step twards finding that someone. I CANNOT beleive its been 6 years already.. I was watching Nascar that tragic day when Jimmy Johnson won the race and shuffled him back instead of going to victory lane. May Emily find what she is looking for if not in Brad, but in a man who will be as good to her as Ricky was. Miss you Ricky……

January 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(2) Connie Egleberry says:

She made it thru the 1st rose ceremony. Sad thing is I didn’t see her when they showed upcoming episodes with Brad. Hopefully, that was on purpose to throw us all off, maybe!! She really does seem like the most sincere girl, I think. And, as soon as she said she was engaged to a guy named Ricky who was a race car driver, I knew it was the late Ricky Hendrick.
I personally hope she goes far, she is my pick for Brad, as long as he doesn’t break her heart like he did Deanna’s.
I kinda also got the impression that she may have left on her own but we know what the show does to our minds, right?? There are alot of manipulators on this season, also, I feel so that could get her off sooner than she needs to leave to not give her the fair chance she deserves!
I told my husband that I think she could have gotten the 1st impression rose if she had mentioned her daughter to Brad during their one on one time!!
Emily FAN!! Go Emily :)

January 17, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(3) Niki says:

I feel her pain. We were at Martinsville raceway that fateful October day. Bless her heart…

January 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(4) Randi says:

I am a fan of the Bachelor/Bachelorette. When tuning in this evening we were introduced to Emily. As soon as Emily said her race car financee passed in a plane accident, I had a feeling it was Ricky Hendrick. Then, she calls for her daughter Ricki (which is my sister’s name, by the way). I just knew.

Emily, I’m sorry for your loss. I have been a Hendrick Motorsports fan for forever. It was an unbelievable loss to everyone. My heart goes out to you and the family. Thank God for Ricki!

I wish you the best on your journey on the Bachelor and through life. I congratulate you for trying to move on, and in the spotlight (which can be unforgiving).

God Bless!

January 4, 2011 at 11:07 am
(5) Bachelor says:

Emily is way too classy for this show. Sorry Brad, I’m sure she will break your little heart.

January 9, 2011 at 12:26 am
(6) Lisa says:

I am a huge Hendrick fan and like everyone else, was very upset the day the plane crash occured. When The Bachelor did the piece on Emily and she said her fiance died in a plane crash and his name was Ricky, I knew it was the late Ricky Hendrick. I give her a lot of credit for being strong enough to try to find love after that tragedy. If Brad is smart, he will take her to the end and give her the final rose; however, we have seen in the past that Brad is not very smart!! Good luck Emily!!

January 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm
(7) Pam says:

Does anyone know where Emily is from in West Virginia?? I already love her! Plus, she is a Coal Miner’s daughter!
I pray she finds love but not with this guy!
God Bless you Emily!
A fellow Mountaineer.

January 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(8) Me says:

I heard she is originally from
Morgantown.

January 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm
(9) Joy says:

Emily is way too classy for Brad. I think she should be the Bachelorette and let the ball be in her court instead of her trying to get attention with all these other women around. The focus should be on her. She seems sincere, beautiful, and will probably make a great wife to someone if she can ever find someone she can love as much as Ricky. Hang in there Emily. You will never replace him but you will find someone that adores you and that you feel the same about.

January 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(10) Jaimie says:

Thank you for FINALLY giving my husband a reason to sit down and enjoy the Bachelor. He loves Nascar… #24. Emily is a class act that from the first day she said repeatedly she was glad it the bachelor was Brad…. will it be a fairytale??? I just hope that the other girls realize as fast as Madison did that they can’t even hold a candle to the likes of Emily. I pray that Emily finds love again and that we have the honor to watch. Hopefully the media will be kind as she has already been through so much! Personally I feel she should be the Bacholorette… she is to classy to compete. This should be a great season and looking forward to seeing Jeff “Rip it” on February 12th!

January 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm
(11) Tom says:

I don’t normaly watch these programs but a lady friend was watching the episode on NASCAR and it was then I realized who Emelly is. Being a part of the Hendricks family she would have to be a very nice person, as they are 1st class people. I only worry that Brad may not be classy enough for her. I hope I’m wrong!

January 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm
(12) Sweat Socky says:

holy crap i thought Ricky Hendrick was Emily’s ex-fiance. what gave it away was on the nascar date in vegas she was talkin bout her ex-fiance that was a nascar driver and he crashed in vegas and that ended his drivin career and he turned to the ownership part and that he died in a plane crash goin to a nascar race, and i remembered that big Rick Hendrick had a son named Ricky that died in the big plane crash and that he had a fiance. ima huge nascar fan and have been for a long time i even spent bout 45 mins. alone with Dale Earnhardt Sr. at the atlanta track at the march race in 1998. ima half of a Hendrick fan lol ima fan cuz of Dale Jr. and Mark Martin but im not a fan cuz of Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson i cant stand those 2. cant wait for this racin season to start. oh and by the way, Emily will get left by that jackleg Brad so WHEN that happens she can come on down to SC it aint that far lol.

January 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm
(13) WEPNWILO says:

I HEARD SHE MADE IT TO THE LAST TWO ……………..

February 1, 2011 at 2:02 am
(14) John Z says:

I believe Emily will be the next Bachelorete, maybe the first to leave Brad standing at the podium.

February 1, 2011 at 6:40 am
(15) evy says:

She can do so much better … she needs to give it more time..he seems to have ISSUES

February 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(16) Renee says:

Emily – You are one strong woman! You go girl… My husband of 11 years was a tunnel hull race boat driver and in 2003, he died in a race boat accident while our 3 year old son and I were watching. It was the worst day of my life but after 8 years, its time to find love again.. You will as well… I don’t know the end result of you time with Brad (Can’t wait to find out though) but if he is not the one, there is someone out there who will love you for you, your past and your memories with Ricky! They will NOT be intimidated by your love for hiim. I promise you that!! I too had to put all the pieces together… I sat in the race boat and tried to figure out how it all went down, asked a lot of questions, and met a lot of wonderful people in the race world (nascar, winston truck, etc…) I don’t even know you but I am sooo PROUD of YOU.. And I know, RICKY is too!!! You rock and good luck.. Remember, Ricky will always hold a special place in your heart but he wants you to be happy and find love again..God has big plans for you.. Whoever you end up with, God and Ricky chose that person for you and your daughter! Can’t wait to see how the Bachelor ends this season… You hold a special place in my heart and I wish you all the best!!! I would love to hear from you if you ever get to see this!!!

February 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(17) Holly says:

I don’t believe Emily is ready to “look for love” again on national tv. This beautiful woman should not lower her standards to be competing with other woman for the same man on national tv. Emily and her daughter deserve to have men chasing her, not the other way around. Emily is too classy and beautiful for this reality show. It will certainly be hard for any man to “fill” the shoes of the late Ricky. God Bless to her and her daughter, I will pray that they find a loving, devoted man. God Bless Emily!