1. Entertainment
Diane Anderson-Minshall

'Dirty Soap': New Reality TV Show Will Follow Soap Stars

By July 30, 2011

According to Fox News, talk show host Kelly Ripa (of Live With Regis and Kelly) and her husband Mark Consuelos are moving into the world of reality TV, producing a new series that focuses on the soap opera lives of daytime TV stars.

Ripa and Consuelos, have previously produced several TLC series through their partnership, Milojo Productions.

Supporting soap stars is of particular interest to the couple, who both started their careers in the medium, meeting and falling in love while they were appearing together on the venerable daytime soap All My Children.

Although the show has aired five days a week for over forty years on ABC, the channel announced earlier this year that All My Children was going the way of other soaps and would be going off the air in September 2011. Then it was sold by ABC, which says the show will now become a web broadcast. No reports yet on which stars will stay once the series moves online.

The new Ripa-produced series, Dirty Soap, focuses on six daytime stars who are juggling their own "real-life drama" while grieving the death of the medium and dealing with the impact it has on their careers.

Hopes that one of the stars on Dirty Soap might be the irrepressible Susan Lucci, who has played Erica Kane since All My Children first premiered 41 years ago, were dashed when Soaps.com announced that the series will star Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe on Days of Our Lives), Kelly Monaco (General Hospital's Sam, known to reality TV viewers as winner of Dancing With the Stars season one), Kirsten Storms (Maxie on General Hospital), Farah Fath (One Life To Live's Gigi) John Paul Lavoisier (Rex on One Life To Live and Fath's real life boyfriend), and Galen Gering (Days Of Our Lives Rafe).

Still, I'm looking forward to watching these soap stars get Dirty and hoping Lucci and other actors of her caliber will find new avenues for their talent post-soap operas. Heads up reality TV producers: their skills could be put to good use in reality TV, a genre that's often felt like the love child of modern soaps and turn of the century melodramas.

I'm also still eager to see what someone like Lucci really can do after being associated with one character and one show for so many years. And she'd bring the kind of high drama that a good reality series needs.

Learn more about the Dirty Soap stars.

Dirty Soap will premiere on E! September 25th. Will you be watching?

Photo WENN

Comments

July 31, 2011 at 6:59 am
(1) Greg says:

I will watch this definetley

August 14, 2011 at 7:45 am
(2) Juliana says:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

August 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(3) alexandria says:

I can’t wait for this to air I’m so excited(=

August 17, 2011 at 11:05 pm
(4) Carmen says:

I will be watching love those actors.

August 2, 2011 at 2:42 am
(5) kisha h says:

yea! i cannt wait. i love my ABC soaps

August 4, 2011 at 8:54 am
(6) Donna says:

What a GREAT concept! Especially since I LOVE soap operas aand Reality TV both!! I can not wait to watch this and I think the actresses and actors chosen are perfect! I can’t wait to see it!!

August 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm
(7) kathy says:

i will be watching cant wait for it to start

August 12, 2011 at 9:00 am
(8) Kashee says:

You better believe it! I’ll do anything I can to promote enthusiasm for the soaps.

August 15, 2011 at 12:48 am
(9) Jessica says:

Wooohhhoooo can’t wait…

August 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(10) Brenda =) says:

Yes! Definitely! =)

August 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(11) Diane C says:

Great idea cant wait to see it.

August 16, 2011 at 12:21 am
(12) gc says:

I love Kelly and Mark and anything they do will be fun and I can’t wait to watch!

August 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(13) Jenni says:

I’m so excited they are doing this show! I can’t wait to watch it! Save the SOAPS!!!

August 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm
(14) mimi says:

i cant wait!!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(15) Amanda says:

I am wicked excited for this show to start!!!!! I will def. watch it

August 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(16) shegilliam says:

Oh My GOODNESS! I just saw the advertisement for Dirty Soap I am so elated! Not a fan of Jersey Shore or Housewives but ever sense I had my daughter 2 years ago I have been admittedly hooked on Days of our lives, my guilty pleasure. Of course there is not enough time in my day to sit down mid afternoon but I record it and fast forward through all the lame stuff until Chloe comes in the mix. Chloe is stunning! And just the most convincing actress, if and when they would let her act!

August 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm
(17) ERIKA LAMOTTE says:

CANT WAIT!!!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(18) lou says:

Can’t wait and I happen to love all the characters they have chosen to follow!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 12:04 am
(19) carlena says:

I am not a fan of reality TV. I always thought it was a re-make of the soap opera’s I absolutely love. General hospital and one life to live are the best and sizzling at what reality TV thinks is reality. I will only watch this new show “dirty soap” to promote and support the soap stars and their world of “reality”. If it wasn’t for soap opera’s and absolutely fabulous actors, reality TV wouldn’t know where to start and begin!!! Good luck stars to the one reality TV show I will watch!!!!! Also, please don’t take one life to live or all my children off the air; whatever would you, or could you replace them with that would be worth anyone’s time or dvr space!?

August 18, 2011 at 12:35 am
(20) tamara says:

cant wait but where is the all my children stars at

August 18, 2011 at 11:45 am
(21) Mike says:

I cant wait 4 this show

August 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
(22) Lorri Gravlin says:

I am so happy you are doing this show. Ive been waiting to see what comes after these two abc shows are off the air, Im 50 yrs old and have watched the ABC shows for 35 years, will be going through withdrawl…. so good job to you Kelly and Mark

August 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(23) laura says:

Yes, I will watch. Would love even more to still be watching them on All My Children and One Life To Live!!!! Going to miss the shows!

August 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm
(24) paula says:

uhm, YES! u leave me no choice, damnit!

August 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(25) Sandra says:

I absolutely loved the “What if” webisodes and I know I will love this too. Reality tv AND soaps- together, OH MY!

August 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(26) Brandi says:

Cant wait.. Def. Watchin it

August 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(27) shelly says:

Can’t. Wait to see it

August 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(28) Felicia says:

SAM AND GIGI FIGHTING?!?!!?!?
makes me sad there my fav soap ladies :[
but def want to watch!!!!!

August 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm
(29) jill says:

I will be watching especially after seeing the preview. Awesome.

August 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(30) Gina says:

I can’t wait! This looks fabulous! I grew up watching soaps with my mom 40 years ago! I passed the tradition down to my daughter. Thanks to TIVO I am able to keep up on the drama.

August 25, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(31) Tiff says:

Love Chloe!! can’t wait to watch..

August 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm
(32) Felicia says:

i cant wait i love my soaps so and i love the fact i get to see Farah Kristen and Nadia on screen together again so excited!!!!!

August 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm
(33) SB says:

The DOOL ladies Farah, Nadia , and Kirsten are the best! DOOL Teen alums Rule! GH doesn’t compare!

August 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm
(34) Darla says:

Farah Fath and Nadia are awesome but I don’t like Kirsten Storms. Her ego is way out of control.

August 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm
(35) CocoaDenise says:

Yah! I’m like so excited can’t wait!

August 27, 2011 at 11:17 pm
(36) Diane says:

Best part here is seeing the Days of Our Lives girls reunited, Belle, Chloe and Mimi! This is why I’m going to watch. I don’t care about anything else. I miss the teen scene so much. Back when you could come home from school and watch and love a soap. Shelle, Phole and Kevin/Rex/Cassie/Susan/Brady/Jan/Jason will never be forgotten. They were characters you could love and relate too. Now all I do is get mad when I watch a soap and the characters all suck.

August 28, 2011 at 12:35 am
(37) Teela says:

Nice to see that the Days teen woman have become popular daytime stars. Congrats to Nadia, Farah and Kirsten. You always knew there was something special about them. I’ll watch this just for them too. The Days teen time was the last great thing Soaps ever produced.

August 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm
(38) jamie says:

Teela,

I agree with you! The last time I truly enjoyed watching a soap was when DOOL had the teen scene. I watch soaps now because of them. I’d love to see them all together again one day. Wouldn’t it be great if the whole gang did a fan event? I wish they were on DOOL now. I’d love to hear Shawn D tease Belle about her hair and see Philip get jealous over Chloe talking to Brady, Jan being a “B” ect…. I’d love that! It will be good to see Kirsten, Nadia and Farah again together. I am worried though that it’s not going to end well. Kirsten and Farah seem to have some issues.

August 29, 2011 at 12:27 am
(39) annmarie says:

i have been watching dool on and off since i was about 8 years old. My aunt babysat me, so i watched with her. i loved all the teen girls, and will watch the new reality show to see them! I also loved Passions, and was sad when it went off the air. I kinda wish Sami would make an cameo on here! love her :)

August 29, 2011 at 1:26 am
(40) Tamara says:

Teens on Days was the top of the mountain for me too. I loved them all. And I love The Last Blast episodes!! They were before Dancing With The Stars!!

August 29, 2011 at 4:18 am
(41) Julie Mills says:

I grew up with the Days Of Our Lives teens too. My friends and I would rush home after school rewind the tape and watch. Shelle kisses were the best heck we had to wait long enough, lol. Couples now just hop in bed in a week or so now. I’ll check this show out. Belle Black, Mimi Lockhart and Chole Lane were the bomb! Oh and so were their boyfriends! LOL!

August 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(42) Debbie says:

I hope the show doesn’t pit Nadia-Kirsten-Farah against each other for ratings. That would be a huge bummer. They were all magical together. It would be ashame if they said bad things to each other now. I love them all too. Shawn-Bo-Hope and Belle-John-Marlena were the best ever parent-son-daughter teams ever on soaps. I will be nervously watching this show too.

August 30, 2011 at 7:29 am
(43) Eva says:

yep seeing the dool teen girls reunited will be the best part of this show for me as well

August 30, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(44) Patsy says:

The Days teen scene time was the greatest time ever on soaps! I agree! This might be good if only to see them again.

September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(45) lois stewart says:

i am so looking forward to it

September 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm
(46) Tonya says:

I have a sinking feeling that Kirsten is going to bash her DOOL time and the teen scene. And bash Nadia and Farah too and us fans of the teen scene. And she is going to play up her time at GH . I hope I’m wrong.

September 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(47) Pam says:

Absolutely love the DOOL girls. Belle, Chloe and Meems and the Salem guys Shawn, Philip, Rex, Brady, JUST LOVE THEM! Absolutely the best time on soaps ever. I will watch this show to see them again.

September 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm
(48) kari says:

I saw a promo earlier today and I usually don’t watch reality shows but I do like soaps especially Days of Our Lives so I will be checking this show out.

September 18, 2011 at 11:23 am
(49) NISI says:

I will greatly MISS my AMC and OLTL,been watching for40 years.Hope maybe this will fill the void. Bring on some AMC stars

September 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm
(50) Holly says:

I am really looking forward to watching. I do hope they explore the riff between former bff’s, Farah & Kirsten. I have to say that I met Kirsten before at an event and she couldn’t have been more of a snob! Love Farah & Nadia though!

September 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(51) margie says:

Where is Channel E? i don’t think i have it???

September 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(52) kathy kotenko says:

I hate seeing all these soaps disappearing Can’t wait to see this new show!

September 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm
(53) Rhonda S. says:

GH replaced Kirsten Storms with Jen Lilley until she cleans up her drug and alcohol habits. I have no use for fake and phony Kirsten Storms either.

October 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm
(54) mphsglo says:

I liked the first show, ‘Starting Over.’ Looking forward to watching more episodes.

November 16, 2011 at 10:44 am
(55) Caroline says:

Love the Dirty Soap show but have to say: Fary is too much, no decent loving mother would treat her daughter this way. She is jealous of her daughter and only wants to be on TV. To Farah: Please stop listening to Danny, if you love JP, accept him as he is and stop whining about getting married. Be thankful a good man loves you!

November 21, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(56) Brenda says:

Kristian should stop getting her friend involed with her and john paul. This marriage should be between the two of them in private. Also, tell her to stop talking down to him on the way he dresses. If she would mind her own business, maybe he would grow up.

December 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm
(57) Pat says:

The last two weeks Dirty Soaps was not on E at 10 or 10;30, where did it go?

January 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(58) dawn pelley says:

I may be way off, but was it only on in the fall. at one point
I didn’t have cable. was it and will it ony be on in the fall?
I was looking for it again. I guess it is not on. Il loved
watching it. dawn

January 23, 2012 at 7:03 am
(59) scarlett says:

I’m waiting for it to come back on and catch up with all of them.

March 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm
(60) Shayne says:

Is Dirty Soap coming back for a new season and when?

May 2, 2012 at 7:46 am
(61) Karen says:

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm
(62) Laurie says:

When is Dirty Soap coming back on. Love that show.

July 16, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(63) realitytv says:

Sorry, Dirty Soap was canceled, won’t be coming back. Sad.