1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Diane Anderson-Minshall

Update: Why Was Angelea Disqualified From 'Top Model'?

By July 30, 2012

Angelea Preston on the set of America's Next Top Model

Still wondering why Angelea Preston was disqualified from America's Next Top Model? You are not alone.

Nearly nine months since her disqualification was announce on the season finale of Top Model All Stars (Cycle 17) that is still one of the top things readers of this site want to know: Why was Angelea disqualified?

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, aren't a Top Model fan or just need a refresher, you can find a recap of the whole debacle here.)

Getting a straight answer to that question has been remarkably difficult, making this one of the enduring mysteries of reality TV. Considering the world we live in, where the lives of even non-celebrities are detailed online via social networking and video sites like YouTube, it's stunning that the truth hasn't come out yet.

Maybe the federal government, banks and others protecting classified information should take notes on how they've managed to keep the story quiet?

Anyway, here's the latest (including what Angelea is doing now), which answers some questions and raises others.

Do you know more than I do? Spill.

Does not having an official explanation about what happened impact how you feel about Top Model?

Photo Đ CW.

Comments

August 11, 2012 at 11:25 am
(1) Eyewitness anon! says:

Angelea was going to win top model and on that one episode where Tyler Beckford said things about Allison and her fans went crazy, he went all crazy on twitter like WELL I KNOW WHO WINS ANYWAYS and someone asked who had the most potential to win and he was all THE BLACK GIRL! he basically ruined it and top model couldn’t really ~make an example~ or humiliate her or anything (as they would usually do) because then that would ruin the fun of wondering who’s going to win and whatnot. And I don’t think Angelea should have won anyways because she sucked like 90% of that cycle anyways…

This is just what I think based on reading all the twitter drama at the time & the rumors that Angelea got disqualified for spilling the beans.

August 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm
(2) mark says:

I don’t buy it. If that were the case, Angelea would have proclaimed “I was robbed” to all who would listen. And she would have been right!
There must be something BOTH Angelea and ANTM are really embarassed about such as drug use or sex between the judges and’or crew and Angelea.

September 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(3) Silkhoney says:

I agree with Mark. It’s suspicious that she’s disqualified and then a few months later all of the judges are fired. Something big happened and she was either a part of it or knew of it in some way

September 11, 2012 at 3:46 am
(4) Damian says:

Given that she is now pregnant, due to pop anytime, I think she was announced the winner then she told them she was pregnant. This would mean she couldn’t fulfil her duties as the winner so they disqualified her.

September 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(5) Lynn says:

Not winning likely worked in her favor. The actual winners have not fared very well post ANTM anyway. She’ll probably have a better shot at a real career in entertainment, even if not as a ‘model’.

October 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm
(6) Sean says:

Angelea didn’t raise hell about it because she couldn’t. Every contestant’s contract before entering the show has a clause in it which allows Tyra to decide what they can and can’t tell about the show. Any info banned by the company cannot be revealed by the contestant unless said contestant wants to pay major bucks – they can and would be sued for breach of contract and damage to the show, which could cost them hundreds of thousands. You can bet the contracts are iron-clad – these girls can’t go to the bathroom without Tyra’s OK during the show and can’t say anything she doesn’t want them to after it’s over.

November 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(7) Kathy says:

I’ve heard two reasons: (1) she was pregnant and it was discovered by someone on the staff, she didn’t reveal it. She was disqualified. (2) she leaked (or implied) that she won on Facebook, which violated the Confidentiality Agreement, and was disqualified. I think it’s #1. There’s no way she won that cycle. She was horrible and even after watching the marathon today, I’m stunned at how she made it as far as she did. I will always believe that during her regular cycle, she was Tyra’s “pet project” because of her bad/sad luck backstory.

November 24, 2012 at 7:26 am
(8) Amanda says:

Angelea should NOT have made it as far as she did she was a whiney time bomb who could not control her emotions I feel the producers kept her after that bitch bianca left to keep tension in the house thank god she didn’t win that would have been an epic fail

December 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(9) kidram says:

It’s not that deep. I don’t think it’s difficult to figure out that Angelea obviously won because they retaped the show. If she had not won, they would not have to retape. I just watched a marathon and Angelea was awesome! We won’t know the truth until someone who actually knows tells us.

December 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm
(10) Sexy_Beast says:

Angelea was the most annoying. But even she, with her dimwitted tiny brain, realized she had no talent and tried to cash in on her sob story. Poor you? Listen twat, you look like a model. Most chicks are stuck at McDonalds collecting foodstamps. You’re lucky. Man, I was laughing at the water scene praying she would drown. That would have been entertaining. Hopefully they bring back Fear Factor and put her on it. I’d watch! Hahahahahahahahaha

December 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm
(11) Iamugly says:

Angelea didn’t have any talent but as a hispanic woman I wanted her to win and I will pretend in my own head she did.

December 6, 2012 at 11:11 pm
(12) shane says:

Lisa deserve to win and i just believe that Angelea won at first but the mistake was fixed

December 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(13) danielle says:

okay I’m not saying this is what really happened I’m just saying this is what I think from the pieces i put together. after the final runway Angelea was feeling sick. before hand she was crying, which could’ve been for the reasons she said about wanting to do good, or it could’ve been because she was hormonal and overly emotional. the show aired from September-December now i don’t know when they originally filmed it but Angelea announced she was pregnant in December. if they are away for two months filming this when would she have gotten pregnant? my opinion she either got pregnant while filming somehow or went on the show pregnant, not knowing.

December 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(14) Anonymous says:

Here is what I think happened:

Angelea slept with Tyson. She got pregnant. The show could not afford the scandal of a contestant sleeping with a judge and getting pregnant for the sake of its reputation. Therefore, to save the show, they disqualified Angelea.

Conspiracy at its finest, I must say.

January 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
(15) Dion says:

She had an interview recently, she reviewed that it was due to hypocrisy. Read it here! http://www.siresays.com/2013/01/angeleaprestoninterview.html

January 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm
(16) CotyJohnson says:

Angelea was never good enough to win, Allison and Lisa were perfect last two.
Coty from Denmark

January 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(17) Né says:

The final just aired here in Portugal (yes we are very late), and I’m surprised not with that controversy but more with the possibility that she won. She sucked the entire cycle! How could she win?! I didn’t understand how they saved her so many times, sending Dominique home instead of her?! Please! If she did win and then was disqualified, good, cause she didn’t deserve it anyways. Even before the finale I was always thinking “man she must banging someone from the set cause it’s impossible she made the cut!” (Sorry for eventual mistakes, my English is a bit rusty)

January 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm
(18) anonymous n. 2 says:

Yeah, i am also from portugal and i just saw now the final episode and i was really shocked when she was disqualified! she was probably the girl that wanted to win the most, although she wasnīt the most talanted. i really didnīt have favourites in the final 3 and i liked angelea i think she had potential but it was probably better like this, lisa really diserved it! i also think it was because she is pregnant but i donīt know if it was with someone from the cast. because if it was then every one working for the ANTM would have known an maybe that explains why they were fired… i donīt know, eventually the truth will come out!

January 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(19) derp says:

Angelea in no way could have won. Just saying.

February 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(20) Julio Cesar says:

I watched the season, In my opinion, I think this show is not to take seriously!

Itīs TV! The girls are too old to start in the model business. And they pick characters, they want drama!

If you look back, contestants that did not win the show made better careers than the winners!

Elyse and Katarjna to name 2…

February 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(21) Mandisa says:

I’m in South Africa n the show finale just aired an hour ago, the least they cud have done is tell us loyal followers n fans of the show what really went down! It truly is unfair that we have to speculate about events that led to Angelea’s disqualification. We demand clarity!

February 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(22) Kherhiwe says:

I’m in SA too and just watched the finale. They really should clarify this issue.

February 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(23) Hot mama says:

I really feel for Lisa. Angelea was a bitter drama queen the whole season. Her attention seeking has sucked every ounce of joy out of Lisa’s win! How sad! Go Lisa, you jumped into every challenge and were professional, you deserve it! The baby and marriage on the rocks drama is a good indication of who Angelea is! Drama queen destined for misery!

February 8, 2013 at 12:46 am
(24) Dence says:

I’m in South Africa, I also watched the show last night. The least they could have done is inform us what happened that led to her disqualification. Must say, as much as I’m an Angelea fan but I seriously think Lisa deserved to win. She was great throughout the show.

February 8, 2013 at 3:03 am
(25) She-Earl Bruce says:

I am from Cape Town SA, I am devastated. I wanted Angelea to win.
I need to know what happened. I am going insane. Please tell us.

February 8, 2013 at 4:49 am
(26) lerato says:

tyra, please have respect for us loyal fans and tell us what happened to angelea. i am you south african fan and feel that i deserve to know the truth. i do not want to lose respect for you

February 8, 2013 at 6:50 am
(27) tanja naledi says:

After reading everyones comments I now don’t know what to think!
I was absolutely shocked after watching the show last night!
I’m from South Africa and a Super Huge Fan of #ANTM and I couldn’t believe the final result!
Yes,Angelea was full of drama and an emotional ticking boom but I can’t help but look at how far she’s come.
There was a season where she almost made it to the top 20 group of girls but got cut,came back the next season and tried again!
I call that not giving up!Yes she’s rough around the edges but anyone who has been through what she has should be.
In many ways she has low selfesteem and feels unworthy deep down of having the title!
I think she stood in her own way of winning in a good and respepctable way if you ask me

February 8, 2013 at 7:10 am
(28) ab says:

Lol Lisa the wild child, you’d think she was gonna jump up and down when they announced she won. The reaction was too fake, its probably the weakest reaction of an ANTM winner, even the girl that won the petite cycle showed more emotion. I think the theory that angelea won is true, and Lisa was the second choice.

February 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(29) JoziGirl says:

Im soooo devastated that Angelea was disqualified. I have followed her from her cycle and the young lady has come far. I doubt its because of leaking of info b’cause shes done this b4 and know the rules, so this mystery has to involve the Judges since they’v bn fired except Tyra!!

All the best to the DQ she was the winner in my eyes and not Bla bla bla Lisa!
All the love <3 from South Africa #TeamAngeleaPreston

February 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(30) LeboM says:

Im from South Africa,and I have just seen the finale today,(yes we are behind)!all I can say is that Im a stunt,how weird and awkward….the jugdes Lisa,and Alison will most definitely get worst actor awards for that finale show,one could just that it was staged!

February 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm
(31) RaeAmazin says:

I think she was disqualified because she was probably offered a modeling contract with a different modeling agency. Not knowing if she was going to win ANTM she took the contract., because if she didn’t win she would have nothing. So if that’s the case she did the right thing. This happens on a lot of reality competition shows. The show just makes it seem like the person was voted off or disqualified.

June 26, 2013 at 1:17 am
(32) tajah says:

I think Angelea should have WON because she represents a lot of black African American woman and the struggle they have to go through just to get in her position and i love her to deaf one of her biggest fans thats just my oppion

July 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm
(33) bossy33 says:

I dont think lisa should have won. she isn’t pretty at all, she looks old in the face. She looks ok with make-up but she would be better as an entertainer not a model. i thought modeling consits of fresh young faces not old looking faces. i like angela but i think dominique should have won.

July 5, 2013 at 11:22 am
(34) princess AMD says:

Here is my theory…. I dont think Angelea won!! How could she have? She was TERRIBLE the entire season, she was a blubbery drama queen! Sure some of her pictures were ok, but she was NOT high fashion and for Italian Vouge they are looking for HIGH FASHION! I think Lisa won in the first place! That is why her reaction was so delayed and not as excited as she could be, I mean for real Lisa is one of the most energetic crazy people ever on the show, she would have been doing flips! I would have that reaction too if I won weeks earlier and then they were like “jk, we have to pull you from your work and rename a winner” I wouldn’t be as excited the second time to hear “you still win!” My reaction would be closer to annoyed! But why would they re-tape if Lisa had won in the first place. I feel like something came out during the show. The reason why Angelea was really disqualified happened on camera, and whatever the reason, it was emarrasing for ANTM!! And it probably violated some contact or some rule, sure it may be that she slept with Tyson, but whatever happened during filming it could NOT be aired! and I am almost possitive that whatever happened is the reason all the judges were then fired from the show. I really hope at some point they come out with a reason for what happened!!! But in my personal oppinion I like Alison and i think she is fabulous and should have won anyways!

July 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(35) EagleGirl11 says:

As I have been looking this up I found a really great article with quotes from Angalea herself, and it gives some insite. First she admitted that she DID win, and she was offended that they never mentioned it at all. Next she talks about a quote from Tyra as Lisa was “being crowned” the winner, and it was something about Lisa being commendable for not letting her past effect her, for this quote Angelea said Tyra was being a hypocrite. So it was something that happened before the show! Angelea also said she was writing a book about her life and that it would explain why she was disqualified. Now I know she grew up in a not so great area, and I think maybe she was involved in some trouble (possibly gang activity or some major crime) and first of all the network would have a great reason for keeping it hush hush, if her safety is in question, or if it was a legal matter of what she did. And I can see why both cover girl and vogue would want another champ named for a reasons like that. Well I guess we will have to wait for her book to truly find out.

July 16, 2013 at 7:51 am
(36) Therefore says:

How do you guys know that the judges were fired?

August 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(37) meme says:

Final STILL didn’t air here in Holland.. SO CURIOUS :(

August 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(38) Karin says:

I live in Holland and the show finale just aired an hour ago and I saw Angelea was disqualifies. I think maybe of drugs abuse?

August 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm
(39) sabrina says:

I’am also from Holland and i also think drugs

August 20, 2013 at 8:20 am
(40) Judith says:

what happend?
??

preggers by mr T … ?

ah well Hollan d was behind, and so we can read into the gossip… hihihi

August 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(41) Judith says:

So… what is going on?! Just watched ANTM …
yeah Holland was late… and i’m later ;)
She’s pregnant? Haha well i should do mr T 2….

but she got disqaulified after shooting all episodes. …
oooh how i want someone spill the beans on this on!

October 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(42) Modeling Coach - Agent says:

As a previous owner of a modeling & talent ageny and a retired model…in a professional opinion, Angelina would not have won. No disrespect to her. But as an agent, the photo shoot which Nigel had to literally place her to photograph??? She would have been fired on set! After going through rehab, Lisa Was much more sellable. Although I listened to was not slacking!!! She will not have any problems getting work. Probably better suited for Japanese market. Leases walk was much stronger. All in all pictures and everything taken into retrospect… Lisa took it and worked hard for it. I don’t believe anything happened between Angelina and “Tyson”. If she was pregnant by Tyson, she would be all over trying to get child support!!! Paparazzi would have jumped on that big time!!!! Nope just be real. If she is pregnant… she can go back to work 9 months from now… look at Heidi Klum!!! Now she looks fabulous!!!! Good luck girls.

October 28, 2013 at 5:41 pm
(43) Shannon Noble says:

Angelea was disqualified brcause she fell pregnant and when the director found out he disqualified her because she wouldn’t have been able too fufill her duties as a model with a bump sticking out

December 20, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(44) Elaine says:

Maybe she had sex with “The Game” or one of the athletes that came on the show if it wasn’t with Tyson, she threw herself on every hot guy if they let her…me think she too horny

January 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm
(45) Joel Bell says:

“Insider” should get a copy of her paperwork (application) for both cycles and research the data in it and see if there is anything that doesn’t add up! She always crying and whining to much for her own good..