What is 'Fashion Star'?:
Fashion Star is a reality fashion design competition on NBC. Several elements set the Fashion Star format apart from that of similar shows like Project Runway:
- Studio Audience: On most other shows the designers present their creations only to a panel of judges. On Fashion Star there is a live studio audience.
- Additional Entertainment: In addition to models wearing the fashion designs, Fashion Star shows will feature musical performances, dancers and models.
- Designs For Sale: Not only will judges have the opportunity to bid on designers' lines, the viewing public can purchase the winning designs immediately following the show's broadcast.
How Does 'Fashion Star' Work?:
Fashion Star features fourteen designers--who are unknown but may have their own collections already--competing for a chance to have their creations bought, produced and sold in Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue.
Each week designers face new challenges that test their talent, commitment and creativity. Judges evaluate the outfits as they come down the runway. Judges also have the opportunity to bid on any specific items they might want to produce and sell in their respective stores. The winning designs are immediately available for viewers to purchase after each episode airs.
Designers who didn't sell any items to the judges/buyers are then up for elimination. Judges may have the last say, but the celebrity mentors have the ability to each save one designer from being sent home.
What Does the Winner of 'Fashion Star' Win?:
The winner of Fashion Star wins six million dollars in orders for collections in Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue stores.
Who Are The 'Fashion Star' Judges?::
Fashion Star's judges are also representatives from top clothing stores and are authorized to buy the fashions created by the show's designers. The three Fashion Star buyers are:
- Caprice Willard of Macy's--Willard is the Vice President/Regional Planning Manager for Women's Apparel for Macy's Southwest Region.
- Nicole M. Christie of H&M--Christie is communications manager for the North America operations of the Swedish clothing company H&M.
- Terron E. Schaefer of Saks Fifth Avenue--Schaefer is executive vice-president and chief creative officer at Saks Fifth Avenue. Prior to joining Saks Fifth Avenue, Schaefer was senior vice-president of marketing for Warner Bros. He started his career at the advertising company Doyle Dane Bernbach, where he did brand design for H.J. Heinz, Polaroid, Chanel and Proctor & Gamble.
Who Hosts 'Fashion Star'?:
Supermodel Elle Macpherson serves as the host of Fashion Star. As a model, Macpherson graced a record number of Sports Illustrated swimsuit covers, earned the nickname, 'The Body' and is a spokes-model for Revlon cosmetics.
Macpherson also created a popular workout video, Your Personal Best-The Body and has launched her own, award-winning lingerie line, Elle Macpherson Intimates. In 2005, she expanded into the bath and body industry with Elle Macpherson The Body products.
As an actress, Macpherson has appeared on films like Sirens and Batman & Robin and the television series The Beautiful Life. In 2010, Macpherson became the host and executive producer of the British version of America's Next Top Model.
Who Are the 'Fashion Star' Mentors?:
Where Project Runway has former Parsons The New School for Design professor Tim Gunn as a mentor, Fashion Star has three celebrity mentors:
- Jessica Simpson: Pop star Jessica Simpson became famous as a bubbly airhead on the reality show Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica. She has starred in several films like The Dukes of Hazzard and Employee of the Month and hosted the VH1 docu-series, Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty. In 2005, she launched the Jessica Simpson Collection, a fashion line which now includes 22 product categories.
- John Varvatos: After overseeing menswear design for fashion giants Polo Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein, Varvatos launched his own line in 2000 and has won numerous awards for his designs.
- Nicole Richie: Former best friend of Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie co-starred in the reality series The Simple Life and has appeared on TV shows like Chuck and Six Feet Under. In 2008 Richie launched a jewelry, shoe and handbag collection, House of Harlow 1960; several years later she started a women's clothing line called Winter Kate.
Who Produces 'Fashion Star'?:
Fashion Star was developed and produced by Ben Silverman of Electus, Rick Ringbakk of 5x5 Media and E.J. Johnston and James Deutch of EJD Productions. The show is also executive-produced by Elle Macpherson, Jane Lipsitz and Dan Cutforth of The Magical Elves. Electus/Engine Distribution holds the international distribution rights.
When Does 'Fashion Star' Air?:
Fashion Star premieres March 13th 2012, and airs Tuesdays on NBC at 9:30/8:30PM Central.