What is 'Project Runway All Stars'?:
Project Runway All Stars is a spin-off of Project Runway. Like its predecessor, this new Lifetime Channel reality show is a fashion design competition. It premiered January 5, 2012. Although it features thirteen designers from previous Project Runway seasons, it has a different host, a different mentor, different judges and a different set of challenges.
How Does 'Project Runway All Stars' Work?:
On Project Runway All Stars thirteen fashion designers--all of whom are previous contestants on former seasons of the original Project Runway--compete with each other in these ways:
- Weekly Challenges: First the contestants have weekly challenges where they must design fashion creations from specific types of material or in a particular style. Models then wear the outfits and walk a runway in front of the designers and judges, who determine which designers will continue on in the competition.
- Fashion Line Creation: The top three designers are then directed to design a line of their own creation. Unlike on Project Runway where designers are allowed several months to create a complete line, the All Stars are only given four days to create five outfits. Then they are given a last minute challenge to create one more outfit for the line using only scraps left over from previous challenges. Previously eliminated designers are brought back to help the finalists complete their look in time.
- Fashion Show: During the finale, the three finalists present their full lines in a runway show and the judges determine which designer did the best job and/or shows the most potential for selling merchandise.
What Does The Winner of 'Project Runway All Stars' Win?:
The winner of Project Runway All Stars Season Two will win $150,000 cash plus a Brother Sewing and Embroidery studio, an all-expenses-paid trip to attend fashion weeks around the world and a technology suite/office space from HP and Intel. As part of Marie Claire magazine's package with the show, the winner will also receive a fashion spread in the publication and the year-long position of Contributing Editor.
The first season of Project Runway All Stars, the winner received only $100,000 in cash, but got a boutique in select Neiman Marcus stores and a feature story in Marie Claire. Everything else was the same, except Season One's winner didn't get the globe-trotting trip.
Who Are the 'Project Runway All Stars' Judges?:
The judges on Project Runway All Stars are:
- Isaac Mizrahi: Famous fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi has been a guest star on a half-dozen TV shows and has also hosted two talk shows, Oxygen's The Isaac Mizrahi Show and Style Network's ISAAC.
- Georgina Chapman: A former actress and model, Georgina Chapman is the co-founder of the fashion house Marchesa, where she is the brand’s Designer and Creative Director.
- Guest Judge: Each episode there is also a guest judge who participates in the critique and decision-making.
Who Hosts 'Project Runway All Stars'?:
Stepping into Heidi Klum's fashionable shoes, model Angela Lindvall served as the host on the first season of Project Runway All Stars, while supermodel Carolyn Murphy took over for the second season.
Who is the Mentor on 'Project Runway All Stars'?:
Taking over the role that made Tim Gunn famous, Marie Claire's Editor-in-Chief Joanna Coles serves as the mentor on Project Runway All Stars.
When Does 'Project Runway All Stars' Air?:
Frequently taping during and airing immediately after a season of Project Runway, Project Runway All Stars airs Thursdays on Lifetime at 9/8PM Central. The first season premiered January 5, 2012, the second started October 25, 2012.