What is 'The X Factor'?:
The X Factor is the U.S. version of a reality show and singing competition that has been the top British series for nearly a decade. One of the aspects that sets The X Factor apart from other reality singing competitions (like American Idol) is that the singers must audition in front of both the judges and a live audience of thousands.
How Does 'The X Factor' Work?:
- The Audition: A hundred thousand singers audition for the judges and a theater audience, who both vote on which performers to accept.
- Bootcamp: At Bootcamp, singers are sorted into four groups and must sing, dance and perform to move on.
- Judges' Houses: Each group is assigned to a judge. The contestants move in with their judge, living in the judge's house where the judge will choose their favorite singers.
- Live Show: Judges will coach their singers on song choice, outfits and stage presence. The judges panel will critique the live performances but viewers choose the X-Factor winner by voting for their favorite singers.
In Season Three the format changed and now has four stages to the competition:
- Stage 1: Producers' audition (these auditions decide who will sing in front of the judges)
- Stage 2: Judges' auditions
- Stage 3: Four-chair challenge
- Stage 4: Live Shows (finals)
What Does the Winner of 'The X Factor' Win?:
The singers on The X Factor compete for the chance to win a recording contract. Reportedly the largest prize in TV history, the recording contract with Syco/Sony Music is worth five million dollars
Who Are 'The X Factor' Judges?:
Who Hosts 'The X Factor'?:
Model turned TV host Steve Jones was the host of The X Factor in Season One. Who will replace him? We'll find out in September.
Who Produces 'The X Factor'?:
The X Factor is produced by Syco Television and FremantleMedia North America. Executive producers include Simon Cowell, Rob Wade, Siobhan Greene, Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Richard Holloway and Andrew Llinares.
When Does 'The X Factor' Air?:
The X Factor first appeared on September 21, 2011 and airs on Fox, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8/7PM Central.