Idol fans were buzzing when Steven Tyler was first announced as the new American Idol judge: Can he replace Simon Cowell? Does he have the personality for Idol? Will he ruin his rock star rep?
Well, after Steven made his debut on Wednesday, January 19, it's safe to say the Aerosmith rocker doesn't need to replace Simon or any one else. His personality stands on his own and we think his rock star reputation will be just fine.
Here are the top five reasons we're loving Steven Tyler on American Idol!
1. He Can Snark it Up Like Simon
Sure, he's a nice guy. But Steven isn't afraid to tell it like it is, either.
- To intensely-bad Idol hopeful Chris Cordeiro: "You scared everybody in the room."
- To odd contestant Michael Perotto: "Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?"
2. He Has Fun at the Judges' Table
Who said judges have to be so serious all the time? Steven drums on the table during auditions and sings along when he likes a song. He also seems to keep Randy and Jennifer laughing nonstop. But maybe he's having a bit too much fun? Steven actually high-fived Randy after taking notice of one bootylicious contestant's derriere. Watch it, Steven!
3. He's Unpredictable
You never know what's going to come out of Steven's mouth next -- or if it will make sense.
- To a contestant who glued two strategically placed stars to her bikini top: "What's with the juju bees on your ooh ooh bees?"
- Random statement during an upcoming episode: "S--- fire, save matches, f--- the duck and see what hatches!"
4. He's Really A Softie
If he wasn't, he probably wouldn't have voted through Ashley Sullivan, whose music mission is to become "the first show-tune pop star." But after Ashley's crying and begging, Steven voted to give her a golden ticket. When Randy called his decision insane, Steven stood up and declared, "I'm gonna personally work that into something good." That's the spirit!
5. He Isn't Afraid to Flirt
The ladies love Steven -- and Steven loves the ladies. There were quite a few Idol hopefuls who flirted with the rock star, and he also did a bit of flirting himself.
- To a cute blonde: "Where is your pitch fork, you little devil?
- To a tattooed brunette: "Italian with tattoos...I love you already."