What is 'America's Next Top Model'?:
America's Next Top Model (also known as Top Model or ANTM) is a modeling competition launched by former supermodel Tyra Banks in 2003. Since then the reality show has become one of the CW's top rated shows and has spawned 20 international versions.
After the 18th Cycle (season), Top Model underwent a major overhaul, replacing judges and mentors and eliminating the kitschy, over-the-top fantasy elements and special effects that had colored later cycles.
How Does 'America's Next Top Model' Work?:
Each cycle of America's Next Top Model features novice models competing in challenges, undergoing modeling training, learning a runway walk and building a portfolio of fashion photographs in the hopes of becoming America's next top model.
Thousands of young women who want to become professional models but have little or no experience in the field apply each year to be on the show, but only 10-14 are chosen to compete. Each episode, the models practice a skill, with the girl who becomes most proficient winning a prize (usually designer swag or extra relaxation--in the 19th season the challenge winners are instead granted access to the "Tyra Suite" which is stocked with ANTM endorsed products, for a night).
The models also participate in a weekly photo shoot and the girl with the worst photo gets sent home (in rare cases there have also been double eliminations or no one eliminated). Starting from best to worst, Tyra reveals each girl's photo and announces who is 'still in the running to become America's next top model.'
Early in the cycle models are given makeovers and must pose naked. These two challenges (not always in the same episode) always cause on-set drama and it is not uncommon for a contestant to quit or doom hselerves to elimination by refusing the makeover or posing nude.
When all but five or six of the contestants have been eliminated, the remaining girls travel to an international destination for the rest of the challenges. Each season the finalists also tape a television commercial--which is both a challenge and a prize because the winner's will air. In the finale, the last two contestants compete head-to-head in an elaborate runway show and their entire season's performance is evaluated before a winner is declared.
What Changes Were Made After Cycle 18?:
ANTM underwent a series of significant changes following cycle 18, including the firing of judge Nigel Barker, photo shoot director Jay Manuel and mentor J. Alexander, all of whom had been with the show since the second or third season.
Another significant change gives fans the opportunity to vote online for their favorite models, and the chance to "save" an eliminated model. Although viewer votes will not determine the outcome of Top Model, they will be taken into account when the judges make decisions.
Prizes have also changed dramatically (see below)
What Does the Winner of 'America's Next Top Model' Win?:
Winners of America's Next Top Model win:
- A modeling contract with LA Models & NY Model Management.
- A fashion spread in Nylon magazine.
- The opportunity to serve as the face of an America’s Next Top Model perfume.
- Appearances in other national advertising campaigns (representing brands like Ford and WalMart. For Cycle 19 the companies are Nine West and Smashbox Cosmetics).
- A $100,000 cash prize
Each episode the winner of the week's challenge wins $10,000 in "scholarship money" but can only collect if she's the cycle's top model.
For the first 18 cycles, Top Model also partnered with CoverGirl cosmetics, which offered winners an additional $100,000 contract. In Cycles 17 & 18, winners earned a guest correspondent position with Extra and the chance to release a single with CBS records.
Who Are the Judges on 'Top Model'?:
The America's Next Top Model judges panel features:
- Tyra Banks: Also host and executive producer of ANTM, Banks is a former supermodel who went on to launch the successful daytime talk show, The Tyra Banks Show.
- Kelly Cutrone: Cutrone--who appeared on TV shows like True Life, The City and The Hills before getting her own Bravo show, Kell on Earth--joined ANTM in Cycle 18.
- Rob Evans: a younger, British version of Tyson Beckford, male model Evans joined Top Model in the 19th season.
- You: Now that viewers can vote for their favorite contestants, Tyra Banks says, you’re the fourth judge.
Who Are the Former 'Top Model' Judges?:
Noted fashion photographer Nigel Barker joined America's Next Top Model in the second season, and served on the judges panel from then until Cycle 18 when he was abruptly fired.
In addition to Barker and Tyra Banks, the panel has usually included an additional successful model and/or another fashion insider.
- America's first supermodel, Janice Dickinson (Cycles 1-4), went on to star on The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency and judge I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.
- Twiggy (Cycles 5-9), is a modeling legend who dominated the 1960s fashion world.
- Paulina Porizkova (Cycles 10-12). Before ANTM, the supermodel Porizkova appeared on Dancing With the Stars.
The other fashion insiders who have served as America's Next Top Model judges are:
- Kimora Lee Simmons (Cycle 1): a model and former creative director of Phat Fashions.
- J. Alexander (Cycle 5-13): Top Model's resident runway coach also served as a judge on the show and, like Barker, was axed after Cycle 18.
- Eric Nicholson (Cycle 2): an editor with Jane and Marie Claire magazines.
- Nolé Marin (Cycle 3-4): fashion stylist and Elle magazine fashion director.
- André Leon Talley (Cycle 14-17): influential fashion editor at Vogue magazine.
America's Next Top Model has also featured numerous celebrity guest judges over the years.
Who Are the Other Cast Members of 'ANTM'?:
P'Trique, the star of viral video Sh*t Fashion Girls Say has a recurring guest star role on Top Model's Cyle 19.
Bryanboy (Bryan Grey Yambao): A Filipino fashion blogger, Bryanboy joined ANTM as the "social media correspondent" in the 19th Cycle. He reads Facebook comments and summarizes viewer perspectives.
Who Produces 'America's Next Top Model'?:
America’s Next Top Model is produced by 10 by 10 Entertainment in association with The Tyra Banks Company. The show's executive producers are Tyra Banks, Ken Mok and Laura Fuest Silva. The series was created by Tyra Banks and developed by Ken Mok and Kenya Barris.
When Does 'America's Next Top Model' Air?:
America's Next Top Model airs Fridays at 8/7PM Central on the CW.