With Fall 2011 reality shows winding down it's time to look to the incoming class to fill our reality addiction. The Winter season will see a fair number of entirely new series as well as some returning favorites. Here is a breakdown of the reality shows that premiere in December 2011.
December 1, 2011:
D.U.I., TLC, Thursdays at 9PM Eastern. A little like a combination of COPS and a driving under the influence version of Dateline's To Catch A Predator, TLC's new reality show D.U.I. focuses on those who are pulled over and fail police sobriety tests. Cameras follow drunk drivers through the process of being interrogated, searched, locked up, posting bail and awaiting court while bemoaning the financial impact of being caught driving under the influence.
December 3, 2011:
- The Ambush Cook OWN, Saturdays at 12PM Eastern. This new half-hour reality cooking show on Oprah's network features Kristina Kuzmic (winner of Your OWN Show), who ambushes the cooking-impaired, taking them to her kitchen for a hands-on intervention.
- Party at Tiffany's OWN, Saturdays at 10PM Eastern. Filmed at Pink Pastry Parlor in Atlanta, this new show revolves around parties thrown for pre-teen girls and featuring 21 different types of cupcakes. Yum. Stars 30-year-old entrepreneur Tiffany Young.
December 4, 2011:
- Chef Roble & Co. Bravo, Sundays at 10PM Eastern. This new show follows Chef Roble Ali, who recently launched a Brooklyn catering business, as he caters outrageous events (including a fancy dog wedding) for New York's rich and famous.
- Alaska State Troopers National Geographic, Sundays at 9PM Eastern. The return of National Geographic channel's show on the trials and tribulations facing Alaska's state troopers who patrol rugged terrain and face subzero temperatures, crazy residents, isolation and uncooperative wildlife.
December 5, 2011:
- T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle VH1, Mondays at 9PM Eastern. This new VH1 reality show follows Grammy-winning artist, T.I., who recently completed a 12 month prison sentence, as he reunites with his wife, Tameka (Tiny) and his children and returns to life as a musician, clothing magnate, actor and best-selling author.
- Candy Queen TLC, Mondays at 10PM Eastern. Another new reality series, Candy Queen follows Jackie Sorkin, who creates (or directs someone else to do so) sweet and chocolatey party displays like an enormous candy throne and an Alice in Wonderland inspired first birthday party.
- Love Games: Bad Girls Need Love Too Oxygen, Mondays at 10PM Eastern. In the third season of Oxygen's dating competition, former Bad Girls once again fight for the attentions of a bachelor willing to put up with their crazy ways.
December 6, 2011:
- Teen Mom 2 MTV, Tuesdays at 10PM Eastern. The second season of Teen Mom 2 (not to be confused with Teen Mom) continues to follow four mothers from the second season of 16 and Pregnant.
- Moonshiners Discovery, Wednesdays at 10PM Eastern. Discovery seeks to add male viewers with this new reality show about guys who illegally brew their own Whiskey in stills hidden deep in the Appalachian mountains.
- Hidden City Travel Channel, Tuesdays at 10PM Eastern. This new Travel Channel reality show seems like it would be more at home on ID or A&E because it delves into crimes that shaped various American cities. Hosted by noted crime novelist Marcus Sakey.
- Storage Wars: Texas A&E, Tuesdays at 10:30PM Eastern. After airing an all day Storage Wars marathon, A&E debuts a Texas-set version of the top-rated auction reality show.
December 7, 2011: Sons of Guns Discovery, Wednesdays at 9PM Eastern. The third season of Sons of Guns continues to follow the manufacture and sale of custom made weapons by the folks at Red Jacket Firearms.
December 8, 2011:
- The Great Big American Auction ABC, Thursdays 10PM Eastern. Host Ty Pennington (of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition) scours the nation for undervalued, one-of-a-kind items that will be gathered together and auctioned off. Like Antique RoadShow some of the fun is in sellers learning what an item is actually worth.
- Beyond Scared Straight A&E, Thursdays at10PM Eastern. A&E's Beyond Scared Straight premiered as the highest-rated series debut in the network's history. Returning for a second season the series profiles programs aimed at keeping at-risk teens from a life behind bars--by exposing them to prison life now.
December 12, 2011:
- Fear Factor NBC, Mondays at 8PM Eastern. For six seasons, before it was canceled in 2006, Fear Factor forced contestants to eat grubs (and other disgusting things) and complete Hollywood stunts. Now the reality game show is back.
- Rollin' with Zach OWN, Mondays at 8PM Eastern. This new half-hour travel series follows Zach Anner, who doesn't let his cerebral palsy keep him from exploring America.
December 29, 2011:
- NY Ink TLC, Thursdays at 9PM Eastern. Starting this summer, NY Ink became the latest Miami Ink spin-off. The second season continues to follow tattoo artist Ami James and his New York tattoo shop, the Wooster St. Social Club.
- Hook, Line & Sisters TLC, Thursdays at 10PM Eastern. This new reality show follows the Andersons, a family of deep sea fishermen set apart by the fact that two Anderson sisters are also in the male-dominated business.