As criticism rises over just how healthy treatment is on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew, the reality TV series' fifth season cast has been confirmed.
In the wake of the death of 60-year-old actor Jeff Conway, a long-time addict whose May 27 pneumonia-related death may have been exacerbated by prescription narcotics, critics and medical professionals have called on Dr. Drew Pinsky to take the spotlight off recovering addicts.
"How could this be working, a doctor benefiting fame-wise and financially from patient's misery?" Dr. Jeffrey Foote, co-founder of New York's Center for Motivation and Change, asked rhetorically in Entertainment Weekly.
Pinsky countered that addiction is a fatal disease, and in treating any fatal illness "people we treat are going to die."
The 2011 deaths of Conway and fellow Celebrity Rehab alum Mike Starr haven't slowed the interest in the show, by TV fans and substance abusing celebrities.
Enter Season Five's cast:
- Amy Fisher still best known as the "Long Island Lolita" who shot her boyfriend Joey Buttafuoco's wife in the face.
- Dwight Gooden the former Major League Baseball star who spent time in prison for drug violations
- Actor Jeremy Jackson best known for his role on Baywatch
- Actress Sean Young who starred in dozens of films like Blade Runner and Ace Ventura
- Bai Ling the Chinese actress who appeared in films like The Crow and Crank: High Voltage
- Michael Lohan, Lindsay Lohan's fame-addicted father
- Survivor cast-off Sugar Kiper
- Guns 'n Roses drummer Stephen Adler, who previously appeared on Celebrity Rehab's second season and the reality show's spin-off, Sober House.
Actress Jennifer Gimenez, the recovering addict who ran Sober House, and Dr. John R. Sharp, who VH1 says specializes "in the integrated treatment of depression and bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, attention deficit disorder, and addiction" are also joining Pinskey's treatment team.
The show premieres on VH1 June 26.